Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Richmond Print is done!


I Just thought I'd put up a quick post to show pics of the new Richmond, VA print! It features the Italian Garden in Maymont Park. I went down to Richmond a few weeks ago to take some pics for this project, and didn't really have a clear idea of what I was going to make the print of, until I saw Maymont. It's just so unique and beautiful, and I knew if I lived in Richmond, I'd spend a lot of time there. Plus, I like to make prints of places where people get engaged or married. Maybe that's a bit sappy of me or whatever, but I am a romantic at heart, and I also know that many people buy these prints as wedding gifts. Not to mention that many places where people typically get engaged or married are quite beautiful or iconic to begin with. I know I would like something like this of the place I was married or engaged. Actually, I don't have a print of either of those places, which is kinda weird cause I'm the one who makes them! But I plan to soon. I was going to make a set of places where my husband and I were engaged (masonic temple in old town Alexandria), married (St. Mary's church in old town Alexandria- where Dev's grandparents were married; some of our pictures look very much like theirs which I think is so wonderful), and had our wedding reception (Meadowlark Botanical Gardens in Vienna, VA- spectacularly beautiful location which we had to camp out overnight outside of to book a year and a half in advance of our wedding! So worth it.) for our 5 year anniversary, but I ran out of time. Oh well, there's always next year!
So, here are the pics of the Richmond Love print:




Here is an image of the first scene in Maymont Park I tried to do- the Japanese garden. I worked really hard on it, and so wanted it to work out, but it just didn't. It's too chaotic, and it doesn't breathe. It's just a little hard to look at I think, and it doesn't lead the eye around to different elements in an organic or dynamic way (if that makes any kind of sense). Plus, I was concerned that many of the details would be lost in the printing process. But I thought I would post it anyway, just to show that sometimes these scenes don't come easily. I know they look like simple designs, but like most things, the simplicity is deceptive. It's a challenge for them to look simple, as evidenced by this failed design.

So, now I'm working on Quebec City and a second NY Love. I'm hoping to get them printed soon. London and Alexandria, VA will hopefully be coming very soon as well!

Oh, wait, I said this was going to be a quick post, didn't I? Haha, oh well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your work is absolutely wonderful! I think these prints are such a wonderful gift for couples who just got engaged or married. The prints have such class!

Anonymous said...

Megan, hope everything OK with you...it's just not like you to post on your blog for so long....just hoping all is well.

loqi said...

Excited to see your Quebec City print!

Anonymous said...

I'm from Richmond originally but live in California now. I found your blog by accident and I love the Maymont print! I used to volunteer there. Thank you.